Friday, March 12, 2010

Life At Home

First let us apologize for not posting sooner since we have been home.  As those who have traveled know it is an adjustment to make once you return.  We are finally catching up with our sleep and getting back into our normal routine. It has been a bit easier this time as we don't have to get up with a crying baby in the middle of the night.

First let's go back to our time in Hong Kong right before we came home.  I wish I could say that the area was as gorgeous as we expected it to be but we got in around 8:30PM and our flight was for 11AM the next morning. We did not get to see much at all.  We had hoped to take a taxi and explore a little the night before but we were so tired we just stayed in the hotel and ate some snacks at the hotel restaurant.  We knew that Hong Kong had a different currency conversion rate but were unsure what it was.  We were surprised to find out afterwards that our burgers and drinks ended up costing $145 USD.  Our flight was very bumpy for the first 7 hours or so and then very smooth the next 8 hours.  Sitting on the plane before it took off we had a big child behind us who had a lap pass that keep putting their foot over our seats and hitting us in the head.  We thought for sure this was going to be an even longer flight than we had hoped for but it did get better.  We literally had to sprint in Chicago and have a lot of things happen just right in order to catch our connecting flight but we made it just in time to board the plane.  We joked that we doubted those working at the airport were going to sprint to make sure our luggage also made the flight so it was not a huge surprise when they turned off the luggage belt when we got home and our luggage was not there.   It did arrive the next morning with no problems.

Our fist week home has been totally awesome and a huge answer to prayer.  Evan seems happy to be apart of our family and the kids just love him to pieces.  He had his first Dr. visit with our family doctor and everything looks really good.  He weighs 60lbs and is 48in tall. He is wearing size 7 pants and 6/7 shirts.
We showed the video of the tick that Evan seems to have when he is resting to the doctor and he did not seem overly concerned about since he seems to be doing so well with everything else.  We will ask the cleft team about it as well just to see if they have anything additional to say but we don’t foresee this as being anything we need to worry about at this time.  Evan’s appt with the hearing doctor is next week.  We do believe that he has some hearing in his left ear but doubt he has any in the right.  

We've been busy filling out paperwork for two different schools (local school and the deaf school), doctors, post adoption stuff, soccer and Half the Sky. Oh, we've not blogged so you wouldn't know that we signed Evan up to play soccer! I've actually signed up to be assistance coach! LOL That should be interesting. You didn't think I'd just leave him there though did you!?!?

There are a couple more post that I want to make here but I am going to start blogging on our main blog as well.



  1. Thanks for the update and so happy the transition seems to be going smoothly. I've been dying here waiting for your post :)! He just looks amazing! We finally had some nice weather here this past week and Audrey is going to be a tough one to watch. She just follows her brothers out the door like she is old enough to be out there alone. Hope to talk with you next week. Kathie
    P.S. I cannot believe how long Lia's hair is!

  2. Thanks for the update! It's so great to see Evan at home adjusting to family life. I look forward to reading about future adventures.

    I think you had a wonderful attitude about the plane ride. It can easily steal your sanity.

  3. Soooooooo happy to read this post! I've been wondering how you are all doing...tried to skype you a couple times but I guess you weren't on. Happy to hear that Evan is adjusting well and that you are all getting back into a routine. How awesome that he will be playing soccer! I think that will be GREAT for him! Continuing to pray for you all! Love you and I'm so happy you are home!

  4. It is good to see you home and doing se well and I have to say that Evan really is the cutest young boy I have ever seen. His facial expressions tell a million words! It sounds like you have hit the ground running with lots of things on the agenda. I am sure that Evan is going to love being a part of your family!! Who wouldn't?

  5. WOW, so happy for everyone!! Can't wait to come over and see him again. I knew you would need time to settle in and get into a routine. Your life is full and blessed. How lucky everyone in our community is to have some part in his life one way or another. He is awesome!!!

  6. YEAH...sooooo happy to see your post...I kept checking but boy, do I remember that first week...WAIT...first MONTH home...well, I actually don't remember was such a blur...major jet lag and TWO non-sleeping babies :)

    Cheri, I am just so happy for your family. What a precious gift from the Lord. Evan looks like he's so comfortable and happy with you he's always been with you...LOVE IT!

    Hugs girlie...stacy

  7. So excited to see these posts... loved following your journey there, keeping Carla company while you were away, and seeing Evan home with you.